Saturday, February 7, 2009

of pillows and pimples

i haven't been changing my pillowcases for almost a month now. i don't usually keep track. i just go with how it looks. if it looks dull and the smell reminds me of my daily walk along edsa, then it's time for changing.

but the other night when i inspected my pillowcases, it was still clean - the color seems normal, the smell... well it still smells of the fabric softener i used.
well yeah, why the hell would i tell you about my dirty pillowcases?
see, i've been getting these weird pimplettes (small pimples :D ) on my right cheek. and i remembered, i've been sleeping on my right side lately. i thought dirty pillowcases may be behind my developing pimplettes. now, that's the reason for the sudden inspection of pillows the other night.
now, i have no idea what exactly caused my right cheek to "break-out."

see, i only get pimplettes when i'm in a bit of stress and panic for consecutive days. i get monster-sized zits in nooks and crannies of my face when i'm emotional. but this time, i'm in absolute stress-less situation. in fact, i am quite happy. no, scratch that: i'm REALLY happy. the universe seems to be pretty generous to me right now that at the back of my mind, i'm thinking this is getting a bit too good to be true.

anyway...

i was about to sleep last night and thought about the pillowcase. looking at the pillow brought back memories of my childhood. we were still living in our old house (the house beside the house i'm living in now) and it was only my papa and i. mommy was working overseas then. i remember how every night i would prop my head through the stairs while looking down and see my papa and my tito toto have a drink. it is normal for me to see my father cry while high on alcohol during those times. i don't exactly know what they were talking about but i always remember my papa tell my tito toto, "hindi ko na kaya..."

by then, i would be carefully sneaking down the stairs and innocently ask tito toto why my father's crying. he would always say, "namimiss niya na si mommy mo, patahanin mo si papa mo, 'nak."
i would just stare into my papa's face while he's all red and his face wet with tears and eventually say, "papa tahan na, tulog na tayo, antok na ko." i think that's their cue to cap the night off and go up to sleep.

minutes prior to sleeping, my papa would put my favorite pillow inside the fridge to make it cold. we had a fridge inside our room and there was nothing inside except a bottle of coke and water, there was just enough room for my pillow.
when everything's ready, my papa would get it from the fridge and gently place it between my arms and legs. i would hug it and feel the cold on my young skin. it was wonderful!
in minutes, i'd be in dreamland.



a few moments later i was sucked back to reality and i realized that i was just staring blankly on the wall inside my room. oh, the nostalgia...


and yes, i am really happy. thank you.

ciao!


No comments: